Saturday, March 19, 2011

$2 Worth of Butter or What to Make the Wife for Breakfast

Good morning, people.  So it is my wife and I's anniversary weekend.  Ah, yes, one year of marital bliss. (Has it been one year, already?)  So the question is; What shall we have for breakfast, to kick off this celebratory weekend?  Easy, Eggs Bennidict and Mamossas!

I'm gonna need some Champagne....
Oh, and orange juice! Mix 'em how you like 'em!
Next, Hollandaise Sauce.  Now, do I really want to melt down and clarify butter?  Hell no!  I'm supposed to be able to relax and have fun today, too.  So I say use the packet.  Besides, you save yourself about two cubes of butter, (or a half pound) anyway.  Okay, so lets talk about Canadian Bacon.
Personally I think it's just thin sliced, smoked ham.  And I like thick cut pieces for this dish.  Don't got any smoked ham?  How about just using some good ol' bacon??  I like it!! 
Something about poaching eggs.  I have poached eggs in a million places, but its always done the same way.  Pan, 4 cups water, salt and a touch of distilled white vinegar. Bring the pan to a simmer, then turn it down just a touch.  USE VERY FRESH EGGS> Crack your eggs seperately and one at a time into a small bowl.  Then pour each egg into the, JUST SIMMERING, water.  Let the egg coagulate.  When done, take it out with a plastic, slotted spoon.

Okay, so, Stacking order;  2 English muffins~toasted and buttered.
Ham, Bacon or Canadian Bacon (whatever floats your boat)
The Poached Eggs
The Hollandaise Sauce
Now, this is very important, dust a small amount of cayanne just the top of each egg.

Alrighty-then!  We need just a couple of sliced strawberries and a sliced banana in a bowl.  Put it all on a plate... And in my case, since the wifey is still sleeping, on a bed tray and WHALLLA!!!   Breakfast in bed ala Eggs Benidict, Fresh Fruit and Mamosas!!